It is very important to maintain your espresso machine to ensure its long life as well as to ensure the flavor and freshness of the coffee that you make. Allowing leftover oils to build up can prove to be highly toxic. Here are some steps on how to maintain your quality espresso machine:
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean your espresso machine at least once a month.
- Use equal parts of vinegar and water. The exact quantity you require depends on the capacity of your espresso machine.
- Line the filter basket of your espresso machine with a clean filter.
- Pour the water and vinegar mixture into the reservoir.
- Run the brew cycle exactly as if you were preparing coffee.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes after brewing.
- Throw the vinegar and water mixture away.
- Repeat the above steps with just water until you can no longer smell the vinegar.
- If you are unsure, you can taste the water to determine if there are any traces of vinegar left.
Here are some other handy tips:
- You can substitute dishwashing liquid in place of white vinegar. The most optimal substitution ratio is two drops of dishwashing liquid for every quart of vinegar. Follow the same steps mentioned above until you can no longer see any bubbles in the brew. Do not attempt to taste the water when you use this method since dishwashing liquid is generally poisonous and can prove fatal when ingested.
- You can also use special espresso machine cleaning solutions which are easily available at most retail stores. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the device
- You can use toothbrush dipped in a mixture of baking soda and water in order to get to those difficult to reach corners.